Rachel Katherine Kimbro

Female 1830 - 1900  (70 years)

Personal Information    |    PDF

  • Name Rachel Katherine Kimbro 
    Born 1830  Arkansas Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Died ca 1900  Fannin Co. TX Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Menasco Cemetery, Bonham, Fannin Co. TX Find all individuals with events at this location 

      "The History of the McLaughlin and Wood Families"

      written by Mrs. Mary Lane, of Duke, MO

      Part One

      My grandfather, Marcus McLaughlin, came to this country from Ireland when he was 19 years old. He had two brothers who lived in Tennessee. He married there and there is where he met my grandmother, Catherine Kimbro and they got married and moved to Batesville, Arkansas.

      The Civil War broke out in 1861 and grandfather joined up with the south and his two brothers said they wouldn't join either side. Grandmother had a brother and he didn't join either side so they all left together and went out west. Grandfather never heard from his

      brothers and didn't know what happened to them. It had been over two years when grandmother heard from her brother and he was in Texas.

      The war was about over and the soldiers moved to Dew Balls Bluff, Arkansas. Then granpa got in touch with grandma and told her to take the children and what she could and meet him in Rolla, Mo. He was still at Dew Balls Bluff in camp. When peace was made he got an honorable discharge and would be on his way to Rolla, Mo.

      Grandma started out with a cart and a yoke of oxen pulling it. Her and the children made it to Hutton Valley where the bushwhackers overtook her and robbed her and took everything she had. She had $300.00 in gold and silver coins. She had it in a money belt around her waist and it rubbed her side and she had took it off for a few days and sealed it up in the corner of the feather bed. Grandfather gave her

      this money he had collected and told her to hold on to it and he would see her in Rolla, Mo.

      The bushwhackers took the feather bed and she followed one half mile and begged and cried for the feather bed for her children to sleep on. There was a guy in the bunch that only had one eye. Grandma had a pair of new brogans shoes on. The brogan shoes were made of hard and stiff leather and this one eyed man told her she could have her dammed old dirty feather bed if she would pull off her shoes and give them to him. So that is what she done. She sat right down and pulled off her new shoes and that left her barefooted. He was standing on the wagon or cart and she handed her shoes up to him. He took the shoes and kicked the feather bed off the wagon. She said it didn't hit the ground until she grabbed it and sat on it, until they drove out of sight.

      The bushwhackers went on down the road and when they turned the corner and got out of sight she ripped the corner of the feather bed open and got the money out and put it around her waist and never took it off until she got to Rolla, Mo.

      Can you imagine how heavy $300.00 in gold and silver coins were? She and the children walked on to Rolla. She left the feather bed by the side of the road.

      During this time peace was declared and the war was over and then grandpa got very sick with the fever. He told two of his buddies to find grandma when they got to Rolla, Mo., that he wasn't going to make it. And he gave these two men what money he had and told them to

      give it to grandma and tell her of his death. He was buried at Dew Ball Bluff, Arkansas.

      Part Two

      The railroad had a line from St. Louis to Rolla, Mo. Grandma met every freight train that came. There were soldiers hanging on the sides and on top and all over but no grandpa. The last train that came brought the sad news. Those two men found granma and told her the sad news and gave her the money.

      In these Civil War days there were bushwhackers and marauders that did much destruction and damaged homes and people. Supply wagons during the Civil War days were burned by the rebels. Just before dusk on a Monday evening a supply train May 24, 1862, bound for Springfield, Mo., consisting of 17 wagons loaded with bacon was overtaken by a band of Marauders belonging to Colemands Band who let the mules lose from the wagons and turned them loose and set the wagons afire. They saved a small amount of the bacon but the

      rest was burned and completely destroyed and only a few of the mules were recovered.

      Then on Tuesday a train came through consisting of 25 wagons bound for the Army beyond Houston, Mo. and they were attacked by the band of Marauders and rebels. The mules were cut loose from 13 wagons. Five of them belonged to Captain

      McKays train loaded with Ordinance Stores was taken with the rest of the wagons was set afire before the work of destruction was completed.

      Lt. Segit, who with a squad of cavalry men was escorting another wagon train in the rear, they drove the rebels pickets and the thieving crowd took to their heels and fled.

      Here is the genealogy of grandpa Marcus and Grandma Catherine McLaughlin. They had 7 children, Wiley, Marcus (nicknamed Bud), Mary, Harriet and Addie, Carl died when he was young and a baby died in infancy. Grandma lived in Rolla until all the children were about grown. Wiley and Marcus (Bud) went to a farm on Big Piney river at Slabtown, MO. and worked for a Mrs. Miriam Merrell. This is where my dad (Wiley) got his first horse he ever owned. He worked on this farm one year for room and board and for the horse and feed.

      Later years Grandma moved from Rolla to Licking, Mo. She met a Mr Douglas Tate and they married and had two children, one girl Emmie and one boy Tommy. He died when he was about 15 weeks old. Later years Mr. Tate died and grandma was left alone again. She lived west of Licking on a 40 acre farm that she just had a lifetime dowery in it.

      Then Emmie married Willie McGuire and they lived close to grandma. Then they moved to Texas and grandma was left to herself. Later grandma went to Texas where Emmie and Willie were. Later she came back a couple of times and visited Dad and Mom

      and two of Dads sisters Addie and Harriet. My dads name was Wiley McLaughlin.

      Part Three

      I don't have any history on Addie, but Harriet married Tom Crook, and he had been married before and had children by his first wife. They left Missouri and went to Arkansas and they had two children, Frank and Lucy and they were 10 and 12 years old when they separated.

      Mr. Crook took Jim by his first wife and went to the state of Washington. He had been in the Army and drew a small pension. No one ever heard of him again. Harriet kept Frank and Lucy and she worked for a Dr. Hutchinson at Calico Rock, Arkansas.

      Harriet took sick and died suddenly. The doctor didn't know anything about her folks, so he found grandmas address in some of Harriet papers and wrote and told grandma about Harriet's death and that she was buried in Arkansas. The doctor had Frank and Lucy.

      Grandma wrote my dad (Wiley) McLaughlin and told him that Harreit was dead and buried that for him to go get Frank and Lucy. and bring them to his house. So Wiley got his brother, Markus to go with him and they went to Arkansas in a covered wagon with a team of horses. It took over a week to make the trip. They got Frank and Lucy and returned home. The children stayed about three weeks and grandma came from Texas and visited a month and she took Frank and Lucy home with her to Texas.

      Lucy married a Mr. Will Pratt, and Frank married a Emmie Skeen. Frank and wife Emmie were married December 24, 1905 at Bonhan, Texas. They had nine children, Freeman, Lila, Cecil, Bob, Mrs Ruby Joplin, Leonard Blunt from Clarkesville, Texas, Mrs. Mamie Zeliff and Bennett Red is from Dallas, Texas, and Jessie Nolin lived in Texas. The youngest son passed away.

      Frank and Emmie and son came to see my brother Columbus McLaughlin and I a few years ago. Thomas was a traveling salesman and they were on their way up north and Frank and Emmie (Skeen) Crook came to Red River County, Texas in 1914. They had 24 grandchildren. The last I heard from them was when they celebrated their 53 wedding anniversary. He was 83 years old and she was 77 years old.

      Wiley McLaughlin met my mother Grace Ellen Victoria Wood at Big Piney, Mo. The first name Big Piney has been called Post Oak Flatts.

      Dad and mother were married July 10, 1881 and lived on my mother's farm on the Big Piney River the second farm above the Ross Farm or bridge. My oldest brother, Columbus was born there October 8, 1882. Mother wasn't well living so close to the river. She had chills and fever. The doctor told her to to move and get away from the river. So they traded the river farm for a ridge farm on Musgrave Hollow at Palace, MO. The rest of their children were born there. There were 8 of us children, Columbus, Mark, Samuel, Rufus, Clarence, Newton, Belle, and Mary. Columbus and Mae Carrell married November 10, 1907. They had seven children Altha, Meda, Alta, Hazel Shirley and two boys, Lawrence and Warren.
    Person ID I14659  Master File
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2012 

    Family Jahiel Douglas TATE,   b. 1814, Russell Co. VA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft. 1875, Texas Co. MO Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 62 years) 
     1. Thomas J. TATE,   b. 1871,   d. ca 1887  (Age 16 years)
     2. Emma TATE,   b. 1874
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2012 
    Family ID F7900  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart